Nature-Based Solutions: Unlocking Urban Potential
24 September 2020
As the international community gears up to address the twin challenges of the global loss of nature and climate change, nature-based solutions and the multiple benefits they promise for sustainability are attracting increasing attention.
Cities are proving fertile grounds where nature-based solutions are taking root. Cities provide arenas where diverse stakeholders and communities can be brought together to realise the multiple economic, social and environmental benefits of nature-based solutions. Cities are critical arenas in which the potential of nature-based solutions for sustainability can be unlocked. At the same time, nature-based solutions can stimulate new forms of sustainable action, themselves unlocking the potential for new urban futures.
The upcoming online conference, Nature-Based Solutions: Unlocking Urban Potential, will draw on four years of research and practice undertaken through the NATURVATION project to explore how the urban potential of nature-based solutions can be unlocked. With a mixture of keynote talks, panel discussions and interactive sessions, participants will share ideas, expertise and practical experiences to generate new insights into how urban nature-based solutions can deliver both local and global sustainability.
The programme will include discussions on:
- how cities can play a role in meeting global goals for biodiversity and climate change;
- the ways in which nature-based solutions can address urban sustainability challenges;
- how new governance approaches and business models can help to deliver nature-based solutions on the ground;
- the importance of addressing issues of social inclusion and environmental justice; as well as
- emerging pathways for mainstreaming nature-based solutions.
Interactive sessions will allow participants to experience the new tools and approaches developed by the NATURVATION team, partners and collaborators. The conference will close by identifying the crucial areas where more action is needed, and the next steps all can take together.